Welcome to the Town of Shaftsbury, Vermont
We appreciate all you do to make our town "Clean and Green!"The Recreation Committee would like to thank all Shaftsbury Volunteers for making this year's Green Up Day the most memorable one we have had in recent years! Our entire community benefits when families and groups continue to grow this tradition to take pride in our home town each year.
Free Trees for the VillageShaftsbury residents in the Village, on Twitchell Hill and along 7A are eligible to receive two free trees to reduce energy costs and cool your home in summer. ACT QUICKLY. You must order your trees online or by contacting Gwen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-651-8343. AND YOU MUST PICK UP YOUR TREES ON JUNE 17 AT THE BENNINGTON BATTLE MONUMENT.
Cemetery Reminder - Seasonal DecorationsIt is that it is time to remove all seasonal decorations from cemeteries.
Here is a list of what is allowed:
- Live annual and perennial plants and hanging baskets on shepherd's hooks are allowed and should be placed close to the gravestone so as not to impede maintenance. Artificial plants and flowers are not allowed and will be removed.
- Trees, bushes, and shrubs are not allowed as their roots interfere with the stability of memorials/headstones. Existing trees/bushes/shrubs may be removed if they are detrimental to the stability of the gravestone. If such action is necessary, the LOT owner will be notified, if possible.
- Vigil lights and honorary medallions are allowed. Seasonal decorations will be allowed but must be removed by those who placed them within 30 days after the holiday. All other items will be removed. ANYTHING that interferes with cemetery maintenance will be removed.
- Only corner markers may mark a burial LOT. No fencing, curbing, hedges, or any type of enclosure is allowed around any LOT. Granite or Marble benches are permissible only if they serve as a grave marker. The bench must conform to the size of the LOT.
Garage and Zoning Bylaws
GARAGE: Shaftsbury is on track to build the garage
- Taxes will not go up; already in budget as reserve
- We have saved more than 20% for the down payment
- New location is near current transfer station
- Includes a new transfer station facility (not a building)
- Includes demolition and disposals of houses we bought on North Road
- Gets highway operations out of our Village Center and away from our school kids
ZONING: In 2016, the Shaftsbury Planning Commission with the Bennington County Regional Commission undertook to rewrite our zoning bylaws in order to:
- correct various inconsistencies
- clarify the language
- align with changes in State statutes
- clarify the Sign Ordinance regarding lighted signs
- add a user guide explaining the permit process
- Bylaws Changes
- Shaftsbury Land Use Regulations SB Final 20170130
- Appendix B - Sign Ordinance SB Final 20170130
- View Proposed Renderings
- Click here to use the online mapping program.
Other significant changes are outlined in the Bylaws Changes link below.