Learn About Shaftsbury
Cole Hall is located on the north side of Buck Hill Road, a few hundred feet from Route 7A. It was built in 1834 by Uriah Cole with stone quarried from the nearby Cole Farm, and originally housed a Universalist Church. In later years the Cole heirs donated the property to the town with the understanding it could be used for no religious sect except the Universalist but could be used for town purposes. It became a Community center; town meetings were held there as well as events by the Garden Club and other groups. In 1973 the selectboard decided to move the town office into Cole Hall after some renovations had to be undertaken. The building is on the State Register of Historic Places. It stands in a prominent position in the village and has become known as a landmark.