Shaftsbury Town Clerk
|Judith Stratton||(802) 442-4038 ext. 1||2 year term exp. in 2019|
(802) 442-4038 ext. 1
Judy Stratton retiring after 35 years of service as town clerkShaftsbury has been privileged to have Judy Stratton serve as Town Clerk since she was first elected in 1982. She will be missed. A new Town Clerk will be elected in March.
The Town Clerk plays a central role in the operation of local government, with duties that bring the Clerk into regular contact with the public. The Clerk's statutory duties range from recording, preserving and certifying public documents to administering oaths of office, complying with public information requests, posting notices on the town's bulletin board, running the local elections, certifying the grand list prepared by the listers, selling fish and game licenses, issuing marriage licenses and licensing animals. The town clerk has many unofficial duties as well which vary from town to town.
Below are some of the duties of the Town Clerk
- Notarizes documents
- Records all vital events occurring in the town of Shaftsbury
- Administers the Freeman's Oath
- Records deeds, mortgages, liens, surveys and minutes of meetings
- Genealogy assistance
- Voter checklist maintenance
- Member of the Board of Abatement
- Takes minutes and prepares the Board of Abatement findings
- Administers and records oaths of office for newly elected officials
- Administration and presiding officer over all elections
- Clerk for the Board of Civil Authority
- Issues Green Mountain Passports
- Records certified copies of military DD 214 discharge papers for military personnel
- Types and records final results of elections
Justices who perform Ceremonies
VOTER CHECKLIST INFORMATIONIn order to be eligible to vote in the Town of Shaftsbury you must be on the Town Voter Checklist. The Town Clerk has blank voter checklist applications at the office and will be available during office hours to register new applicants. You may also print an application off our website. Please stop in and make sure you are registered to vote. If you have any questions about voting, please call 442-4038.
GENEALOGY INFORMATIONNEWS****We have now placed our vitals database for Shaftsbury on this page! This includes all vital records from 1761 to 1900. Click on the link below to access these records.
GENEOLOGY REQUESTS: We also accept requests for research but are able to do research only as time allows. There is a charge for this service and a return self-addressed stamped envelope is appreciated when writing a request.
E-mail your request using this page or Mail your request to the Town Clerk at;
Shaftbury Town Clerk
61 Buck Hill Road
Shaftsbury, VT 05262